what new yorkers are reading on the subway


Friday, June 13, 2008

Tender is the Night

Uptown 6 Train, between Brooklyn Bridge and Bleecker
I had very little time to talk to a young woman in a striped shirt about Tender is the Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald--so little that I didn't get to ask her name or take a picture of her book. She wanted to read about the French Riviera, and someone told her that Tender is the Night is the "go to book" for the French Riviera. I loved everything Fitzgerald wrote when I was a kid and always thought of him for his dreamy writing rather than for anything topical, although I guess The Great Gatsby is thought by some to be the "go to book" for the Jazz Age. The young woman likened Tender to Joan Dideon's Play It Like It Lays. It's "character development," she said. The melancholy main character.

No comments: