what new yorkers are reading on the subway


Sunday, June 15, 2008

Academy X

Waiting for the F Train at Jay Street-Borough Hall
Academy X, by Andrew Tees, is about an upper class New York private school. John said he just started the book. He was so into the book, in fact, that rather than saying more, and what he did for a living, he told me "that's enough" and returned to reading. Fair enough. However, I wish John had told me more, because after I got home last night, I went back and read the 2006 New York Times book review, which got me intrigued. Maybe I want to read this book. It's about a high school English teacher, the Times says, "torn between idealism and cynicism." I'm a high school English teacher that fits that description! John, please, I need to know: Is this my beach read for the summer? If only "that" wasn't "enough."

No comments: