what new yorkers are reading on the subway


Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Hobbit

Queens bound G train in Brooklyn
Although I've seen the movies, I avoided The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. I tried to read it as a kid, and couldn't get hooked, so I put it down. I went on to read other things as I did read a lot as a child--the reverse situation from Daniel, who was about halfway through. "I heard it was a great book, so I'm reading it." Daniel will be a sophomore at Stuyvesant High School in September. Neither he, nor his little brother, who was sitting next to him on the train, like to read. He prefers history. "I'm not really a book fan. I started reading this summer. It seems like a good thing to do." He said he struggles in English, he said. The problem is, he just doesn't understand what the books are about in his English class. Last year, in 9th grade, his class read Great Expectations and Catcher in the Rye. He said he really didn't understand either of those novels.

1 comment:

SwedishDonors Choose-guy said...

But at least he's trying. You know kudos to the guy who has it against him and make the effort to go for it rather than the lazy fuck who can but wont give a damn. I rate this guy higher