what new yorkers are reading on the subway


Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

C Train going underground between Brooklyn and Manhattan
Stephen, an audio engineer, first read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers ten years ago. What a brilliant idea, to reread this novel. When I think that she wrote it when she was 23, I want to give up my own writing. It's a beautiful story set in a small town in Georgia. I too hadn't read it in a long time, maybe 20 years not 10. I remember the deaf mute and the girl, but little else. Stephen, however, has a good memory and rarely rereads books. The last book he read on the train which he loved as much as The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is 100 Years of Solitude, another novel that deserves rereading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're a writer? fiction? short stories? novels? post more! I've never read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter but always glanced at it, knowing I should (much like As I Lay Dying, which I finally read)