what new yorkers are reading on the subway


Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mexico

Mexico
Undergroundreads is going international, taking a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico. I am taking three novels with me, besides my guide book. One, recommended by David Stein, is called Eat the Document, by Dana Spiotta. I tried to go buy the book at the Strand, but couldn't remember the title, and kept asking the snarky pimply faced clerk if they carried something called Eat This Book. He said no, and couldn't have been gruffer. When I finally got around to looking up the title on my iPhone, he said they didn't have the Spiotta book, which I found surprising. He then confessed that he didn't hear me properly, and that they did in fact have one copy of the book, which apparently is about a 1970s radical protest gone wrong, and the lives of the protesters 20-some years later. My second novel falls in the category of, I should have read this book as a teenager, and I may have problems reading it now, but I will give it a try nonetheless, Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I may want my students to read it, so I had better check it out first. The third book is pure beach read: A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini. I read The Kite Runner in two or three days and just ate it up like it was candy, cried my eyes out. So while my apartment is occupied by inlaws, that'll be me with Good Reads on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, not paying attention to train delays or urine-smelling subway stations. But sure enough, Underground Reads will be back in September, just in time for school kids and the exciting end of the baseball season. Read Underground!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read Tale of Two Cities. I think. I like David Stein, and find David Sedaris's writing fun, so I thought of my reaction to the Chabon novel: I wasn't getting the jokes! Wait, I'm cross posting. I like Mexico! Enjoy the beach. You are going to look so much hotter all tan and shit.

Garth Wolkoff said...

I'm all about looking hot, although, to tell you the truth, I thought I looked pretty hot all pale and shit.